Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Remedy for heat rash


Hah! My beloved "bedak"!
This is very handy during scorching hot weather, like what we're experiencing here lately. This is a powder made of rice which will melt in your palm when water is added. Then, you can apply it to the skin and wait for it to dry. It gives a soothing,cooling effect as it dries. If you are from the South East Asia region, I think you are familiar with it. I had some heat rashes at the back of my neck a few days ago, after using it a couple of times, it dissapeared. :)

This is handmade by my grandmother, one of her specialties.It was made from scratch patiently over the period of months. It don't look smooth, tiny and cute like those in the market because my grandma is making it for the family only and I think it's faster this way :P

Nowadays, I think people don't use it as much anymore. I wonder if it will dissapear one day...

3 comments:

  1. The first time when I saw the picture, I thought it was mash-mellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't work on Ivan when he was having eczema. It made his back all red after waking up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony: haha, marshmallow, huh :P

    Gigi: sorry to hear that. Yes, eczema is a very different case from heat rash. It's a more complicated skin problem. My cousin even told me the 'bedak' works for his acne but not for mine though...:)

    ReplyDelete